The Cost of Bigotry
by Caleb Reading
Of all the money donated to pass Prop 8 in California, an estimated $20 million of that came from Mormons (more than half of the estimated $35.8 million total).
What could they have done instead? Well, with $20 million, you can do all of the following at the same time:
- Protect 120,000 children from diphtheria, pertussis, tetanus, polio, measles, childhood tuberculosis, hepatitis B, Haemophilus influenzae type b, and Vitamin A deficiency ($30 per child through UNICEF)
- Provide 175,000 bednets to protect against malaria ($10 per net through Nothing But Nets)
- Provide free cleft surgery for 1,000 children ($250 average cost per surgery through Smile Train)
- Provide 80 MILLION packs of birth control in third world or developing nations, enough to prevent unwanted pregnancy in over 615,000 women for a full decade (about 15 cents per cycle through dktinternational.org)
- Buy around 20 years worth of Copaxone therapy for 12 people with multiple sclerosis ($10,000 per year per person, assuming the drug company gives no discount and no generic is ever made)
But, yeah, making sure a state Constitution ensconces gay people as second class citizens is waaaay more important than all that.
They may as well have bought 70 Lamborghini Gallardo LP560-4’s and set them on fire to more eloquently symbolize exactly how little they care about the poor.